This was recorded in Peking Gazette for 1873, at Feb. 15th. -- Le Han-chang, the Governor-General of Hoo-Kwang, and an officer of the first rank, petitions the Emperor with regard to the miraculous interposition of a certain deity for the defence of a place under his jurisdiction; and the petitioner begs His Majesty to erect a tablet in commemoration of the event.
A temple to the god of war stands within the Western gate of the city of Seang-yang-foo, in the province of Hoo-peh, and responses to prayers have been frequently obtained at this shrine. In the sixth year of the reign of the Emperor Heen-fung, rebels of the place attacked the city, and made their chief assault upon the west gate, where there were, at the time, but few soldiers stationed. And, although both the soldiers and the resident gentry took vigorous measures to repel the attack, yet they were eventually overcome by the superior number of the enemy. The rebels were now, however, observed to retire suddenly and in confusion, and on enquiry being made of the suffering people on their return to the city, it was ascertained that the rebels saw a bright flag waving over the city, and a tall General, having a long beard and arrayed in green garments, calling up his troops, whereupon they immediately fled, overcome by fear, and thus the threatened danger to the city was happily averted.
The God of War is believed to be Guan Yu 关羽, who was a general serving under the warlord Liu Bei during the late Eastern Han Dynasty, he had long beautiful beard.
Chinese Gods >